Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Heads up for LinkedIn users - watch your invites for phishing scam

Just yesterday I had a friend request an introduction to Kevin Bacon through me. I didn't even know that I was connected by any "Six Pixels of Separation" from Kevin B. So of course I thought she might be getting spammed and sent her an email and a voice mail asking if she really sent this and then suggesting she change her password in case she didn't. Personally I have seen a big rise in the number of strange invite requests from outside the US. The invites are often from people who have done nothing on their profile - just joined a huge number of groups and provide no info. My reply to these people is to complete their profile and then reinvite me when I know a little more about them.



This just makes the case - you wouldn't go to a business dinner in your swim suit - don't start networking without completing a solid professional profile. If you are on LinkedIn for business purposes, take the time to learn how to do it right.



In the meantime beware of invites that show up in your personal inbox and NOT on Linkedin. Check people out by reviewing their profiles first.

Amplify’d from www.google.com
Cyber crooks out for LinkedIn members' bank accounts

SAN FRANCISCO — Cisco on Monday warned that crooks have inundated LinkedIn with emails crafted to trick members of the career-oriented social networking service into downloading software that loots bank accounts.

The email is a phony contact request and contains a booby-trapped link that, if clicked on, infects computers with malicious software known as "ZeuS."

Read more at www.google.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment