Thursday, June 2, 2011

Consider local Madison startup Entrustet for your digital death

I ran across this humorous look at digital death by Chris Faraone of The Boston Phoenix. I have been considering using a service to manage my web portfolio and digital online reputation management. I know my Internet adverse husband would be totally lost should I need someone to do something in my untimely demise. I would go with my home town guys as well - Entrustet.

Amplify’d from thephoenix.com
Where does your data go when you die?
In the absence of meaningful state or federal regulation regarding post-mortem rights in cyberspace, a so-called digital death industry is booming. Sites like DataInherit, a "Swiss bank for data" — have tens of thousands of users in more than 100 countries. MemoryOf, which allows survivors to build tribute pages, is steadily approaching the 100,000-memorial mark, while the comparable 1000Memories recently became the first company of its kind to attract a seven-figure capital injection.
There's been some notable coverage of digital death; business publications are especially enthralled by the potential of this relatively uninhabited marketplace. But I chose a more practical approach to probe the phenomenon, and decided to write out my own Web will.
COUNTING THE CLOUD
To that end, of the dozen or so services I could have used for digital asset management, I picked the Madison, Wisconsin–based Entrustet, which has emerged as an industry leader. The three-year-old company's co-founder, Newton native Jesse Davis, is a young healthy dude who I think will be around for a while, and who says his company has taken serious safety precautions, going "above and beyond" standard security measures to deeply encrypt information.
Read more at thephoenix.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment