Monday, April 26, 2010

Donate your time to teach Nonprofits how to build a social community

I think everyone who works with social media should take time out of their schedule to offer a presentation to a favorite nonprofit group. As followup to my post last week about the Ice Age Trail Bridge Dedication in Lodi I gave a presentation about using social media for community building.


I live in an area that has the Ice Age Trail going through it and I am less than a 1/4 mile from one of the absolutely best sections, Which I often highlight on my website. I provided a donation of volunteer hours to create and present a program on community building with social media at their annual meeting program.

To give everyone a first hand example of how effective social media tools can be I attend a Ice Age Trail event on Tuesday April 20. It was the bridge dedication of the the volunteer-built, longest span bridge. I created a video and took pictures at the event. I posted the video on my Youtube Channel and then created a blog post on blogger.  I shared the links to both on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.

After the event, when the local newspapers posted their online versions I linkedin again in Facebook and Twitter. I used Delicious to bookmark the articles.  I then created a hastag definition for #iceagetrail to tie back to the website and the organization for Twitter users. I also dug up several groups on Flickr posting pictures of the Ice Age Trail.

Total time investment, including attending the original event, writing, posting, and linking 2.5 hrs. For your further reference, please see my presentation posting on SlideShare:

What have you done for your favorite charity lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment